Tuesday, September 21, 2010

God is Sovereign!

September 21, 2010

When I was going to college in Greeley, Colorado, my friends and I would go to the corn maze for fun around this time of year. For those of you who have never been to a corn maze or any other life size maze, I will explain. Corn is grown regularly, and then the owner comes along and cuts out a design or a maze in the corn. You enter on one side and somehow find your way to the exit after several twists and turns and dead ends. Once you are inside the maze, you can’t see over the stalks to see where you need to turn. You are just blindly walking through the maze heading one direction and then the next. For a person like me who has no sense of direction at all, I could literally be lost inside the maze for hours if I didn’t have my friends with me.

But, what if there was someone in a helicopter flying above the maze that could see the entire picture? What if they could talk to you over a walkie talkie and could guide you every step of the way? You would find your way through easily and quickly. You would never get lost or have to wander for hours.

God is hovering over the maze of each of our lives. He sees the giant picture. He sees where you entered the maze on the day you were born. And He also sees the day you will finish the maze.

God is Sovereign!

Psalm 16
Keep me safe, O God,
for in you I take refuge.

I said to the LORD, "You are my Lord;
apart from you I have no good thing."

As for the saints who are in the land,
they are the glorious ones in whom is all my delight.

The sorrows of those will increase
who run after other gods.
I will not pour out their libations of blood
or take up their names on my lips.

LORD, you have assigned me my portion and my cup;
you have made my lot secure.

The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
surely I have a delightful inheritance.

I will praise the LORD, who counsels me;
even at night my heart instructs me.

I have set the LORD always before me.
Because he is at my right hand,
I will not be shaken.

Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices;
my body also will rest secure,

because you will not abandon me to the grave,
nor will you let your Holy One see decay.

You have made known to me the path of life;
you will fill me with joy in your presence,
with eternal pleasures at your right hand. (NIV)

You can almost feel David’s joy and contentment flowing from this Psalm. David knows that God is sovereign. He knows that God has it all under control. He has the plans laid out before Him. God knew every step David would take. God knows every step you will take. God has given each of us our own unique maze to complete. No two mazes are the same, just as no two lives will ever be the same. God has designed you with your talents and personality and abilities to walk through life fulfilling the opportunities He places in your path.

Sometimes, I have wandered off in my maze. I put down my walkie talkie because I thought I could do it on my own. After wandering for hours, days, weeks, years, I finally came back to my God who has the ultimate plan for my life. And when I came back God was there waiting to guide me again step by step. I found that as I was following God’s instructions and listening to His voice, my steps were exactly what I needed. My life had purpose.

So, it is your choice today. Do you listen to God who sees the bigger picture? Or do you wander off to figure it out on your own?

No comments:

Post a Comment