Monday, August 23, 2010

God is the Bestower of Blessings!

August 23, 2010

Christmas morning has to be one of the most exciting mornings of the year. As a little child, I remember tossing and turning in my bed awake with anticipation. In the morning, I did not know what I would find beneath the Christmas tree. But, I could not stand to wait any longer by the time Christmas Eve rolled around.

Of course, at the beginning of December I had presented my wish list and made sure my parents knew exactly what my requests were. Then, I had to wait and wait and wait to see what gifts would be under the tree that year.

I had no problem asking my parents for exactly what I wanted whether it was a specific Polly Pocket set or a Ballerina Barbie. I knew that in order to get what my heart desired, I needed to be specific and make my request known.

What about my requests with God? Do I ask Him for specific things when I pray? OR Do I pray in generalizations and say the cliché phrases you so often hear in prayers? Am I afraid to ask God for what my heart desires? Do I limit what I ask of Him because I think it is too much or too difficult or too grandiose? When I ask do I believe He will give me what my heart desires? Do I anxiously wait in expectation for what He has in store in response to my prayers?

As I study the Psalms, I find more and more definitions of God. In Psalm 5, I find yet another reassuring definition of God.

Psalm 5
O LORD, hear me as I pray;
pay attention to my groaning.
Listen to my cry for help, my King and my God,
for I pray to no one but you.
Listen to my voice in the morning, LORD.
Each morning I bring my requests to you and wait expectantly.

O God, you take no pleasure in wickedness;
you cannot tolerate the sins of the wicked.
Therefore, the proud may not stand in your presence,
for you hate all who do evil.
You will destroy those who tell lies.
The LORD detests murderers and deceivers.

Because of your unfailing love, I can enter your house;
I will worship at your Temple with deepest awe.
Lead me in the right path, O LORD,
or my enemies will conquer me.
Make your way plain for me to follow.

My enemies cannot speak a truthful word.
Their deepest desire is to destroy others.
Their talk is foul, like the stench from an open grave.
Their tongues are filled with flattery.
O God, declare them guilty.
Let them be caught in their own traps.
Drive them away because of their many sins,
for they have rebelled against you.

But let all who take refuge in you rejoice;
let them sing joyful praises forever.
Spread your protection over them,
that all who love your name may be filled with joy.
For you bless the godly, O LORD;
you surround them with your shield of love. (NLT)

God is the Bestower of Blessings!

In the first three verses, the author of the Psalm, David, writes about praying before God and bringing his requests before the Holy God.

O LORD, hear me as I pray;
pay attention to my groaning.
Listen to my cry for help, my King and my God,
for I pray to no one but you.
Listen to my voice in the morning, LORD.
Each morning I bring my requests to you and wait expectantly.

Notice how David says that he “waits expectantly.” When David prays, he expects God to respond. David pours his whole heart and soul out before God. He complains about his enemies’ constant attack. He laments when he is in hiding. He rejoices when he finds victory in God. He asks for help in the midst of battle. He asks God to do the impossible in his life. And David believes he will receive everything he asks of God.

Why?

Because David believes that God is the Bestower of Blessings. David knows that what God wants for him is even better than what David wants for himself. David knows he serves an all loving God who wants to give you what you request.

So ask away! Present your requests before God. Ask Him for your heart’s desire. And watch Him change your life as He bestows one blessing after another upon you.

No comments:

Post a Comment