Thursday, August 5, 2010

My Soul Thirsts

This week I have been dogsitting for some friends of ours. Sophie, our golden puppy, has been nonstop since she has a new playmate. Miles, our friend's dog, is older and tries to find any place to hide from Sophie's sharp puppy teeth. They have been quite a handful together...but, I have found one thing that will calm both of them down.

Every morning, I take them on a run with me around our neighborhood. By the time we return home, the dogs are panting like crazy. As soon as they get into the house they lap up as much water as they can. Sophie even plops down right by her water bowl and rests her head on the edge so all she has to do is stick out her tongue to get a little water.

I find myself just as desperate for water as the dogs. When I feel that cool water touch my lips and run down my throat, I finally feel satisfied. It is almost as though I might die if I did not get my thirst quenched.

Besides thirsting for water, my soul thirsts for the living water of the living God.
Psalm 42:1-2 says, "As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God." (NIV)

We are all deer panting for streams of living water. Sometimes, the problem is, we try to quench our thirst in anything except the streams of living water. I have found myself feeling empty and searching for purpose and meaning at times. During those times, I look to what I need to accomplish or gaining people's approval or placing all my needs on my husband. Instead, I need to look to the only One who can quench my thirst fully--God.

Just like a Coke or a beer never satisfy your thirst for water, any other replacements for God will never satisfy my need for the one true God.

Are you thirsting for something? Is there any empty spot in your heart? Does it seem like there must be more than this? You are not alone. Everyone is created with a specific thirst in their heart for God. But, not everyone chooses to quench their thirst in God.

What will ultimately quench your thirst?

No comments:

Post a Comment