Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Ultimate Director

August 10, 2010

During the month of August, I am directing a play through the Black Hills Community Theatre. As the director, I have been in charge of holding auditions, casting the show, and running rehearsals. During a regular rehearsal, I sit at a table in front of the stage, and I watch the show. When I see something I need to change or something I like, I write down a note about it. At the end of the rehearsal, I share my notes with the actors. I give them my directions.

As a director, it is my job to create an entire story from beginning to middle to end. Sitting out in front, I can see the whole stage. I am able to get a view of the whole picture. Sometimes my directions include moving actors on stage, so they can be seen better. Other times my directions include giving them an idea of how to improve their character or a particular line. Always my directions are meant to make the entire production better!

Just as I direct my actors to help them improve and become better at what they do, I have a director who directs my life. God is my director. God is constantly watching my life and my actions. He is constantly correcting me to make me a better person and a better witness for Him. God’s directions for me are in the Bible. That is why it is so important for me to spend time listening to what God has for me each day.

Sometimes my actors are too involved in remembering lines and the action taking place on stage to realize that there is something that needs to be fixed. That is where I come in. I can see the whole picture. I know the whole story. I know where the play is headed. And my directions to the actors help them to adjust and correct something they may not even see themselves.

The same goes for God as my director. God knows the whole story of my life. He knows what happened in my past. He knows what is happening in my present. And He even knows what will happen in my future. He knows how everything ends. So, with the end in mind, He can better direct me in the way I should go and the decisions I should make along the way.

I give my direction to my actors, but it is up to them to put it into practice. They can choose not to take my direction. I cannot force them to move to a certain spot on stage or deliver a line a certain way. I can only give them the direction; they choose whether or not to follow my direction. Knowing that my direction will make the play better and themselves better actors, most of them take the directions and make the necessary changes.

But, in life, it is sometimes hard to take God’s direction. A lot of times, it doesn’t make sense. Other times, it is hard or difficult to do what God asks. The thing I have to constantly remind myself of is that God is directing me for my benefit. He is working everything out for my good and His glory. When I remember how much my director loves me, then it is easier to follow His direction no matter what He asks.

Here is some direction from the ultimate Director Himself.

Proverbs 23:19 says, “Listen, my son, and be wise, And direct your heart in the way.” (NASB)

Jeremiah 10:23 says, “I know, O Lord, that a man's life is not his own; it is not for man to direct his steps.” (NIV)

2 Thessalonians 3:5 says, “May the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God and into the steadfastness of Christ.” (NASB)

Psalm 119:35 says, “Direct me in the path of your commands, for there I find delight.” (NIV)

Psalm 119:133 says, “Direct my footsteps according to your word; let no sin rule over me.” (NIV)

Proverbs 3:5-6 says, “Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths.” (NKJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment