Wednesday, August 18, 2010

God is Merciful!

August 18, 2010

More than anything else, day by day, I realize how much I am in need of God’s mercy. The more I read in the Bible. The more I study His commands. The more I pray. The more I seek to understand God’s will. The more I reach my knees in humility. And the more I realize I God’s mercy daily, hourly, by the minute.

Have you ever felt that way? Have you wondered whether God had enough mercy to pour out upon you to cover all you have done? Do you feel undeserving of mercy?

You and I are not alone. David, author of a majority of the Psalms, begged, pleaded, implored, prayed, and requested mercy in numerous Psalms. David and myself have more in common than you may think. David struggled with an identity crisis. I struggle finding my identity in Christ. David made many mistakes with drastic consequences. I have made my fair of mistakes with consequences that affect my future. David knew God was His only answer. I know God is my only way to true joy and contentment. David needed an abundance of God’s mercy. I need a constant showering of His mercy all over my life.

Psalm 4
Answer me when I call to you,
O God who declares me innocent.
Free me from my troubles.
Have mercy on me and hear my prayer.

How long will you people ruin my reputation?
How long will you make groundless accusations?
How long will you continue your lies?
Interlude

You can be sure of this:
The LORD set apart the godly for himself.
The LORD will answer when I call to him.

Don’t sin by letting anger control you.
Think about it overnight and remain silent.
Interlude

Offer sacrifices in the right spirit,
and trust the LORD.

Many people say, “Who will show us better times?”
Let your face smile on us, LORD.
You have given me greater joy
than those who have abundant harvests of grain and new wine.
In peace I will lie down and sleep,
for you alone, O LORD, will keep me safe. (NLT)

God is merciful!

If God is defined by His mercy, how is mercy defined. My Women of Faith Study Bible defines mercy as, “compassion or kindness shown to someone instead of severity, especially to someone who doesn’t deserve it.” Mercy sounds so simple by definition, but mercy has such amazing affects on one’s life.

God’s mercy on us extends beyond any earthly mercy. His mercy on us extends from one outstretched arm of Jesus to the other outstretched arm. God sent His Only Son, Jesus to die on the cross in order to save me and you. Here is where mercy comes in—we didn’t deserve it.

So, in light of a merciful God, am I living my life as though I have been showered with compassion even though I deserve nothing?

No comments:

Post a Comment