Tuesday, August 24, 2010

God is the Listener!

August 24, 2010

Have you ever been in a conversation with someone where you are pouring your heart out, sharing the most intimate details, and you wait for a response and the person just nods their head and says uh huh?

If you have been there, you know how frustrating that is. Even if it is not a deep conversation, it still gets me when the person you are talking to just doesn’t seem to be listening completely to what you are trying to say.

That type of person is a hearer. They are hearing the words you are saying. They may even be able to repeat some of what you have said if you asked. But, it stops there. They are only hearing instead of listening.

Have you ever been in a conversation where the person is fully engaged in what you are saying, they make comments along the way empathizing with you and your situation, and in response they ask more questions to draw out how you are feeling?

If you have been there, you know how refreshing and energizing a conversation like that can be! You feel valued and appreciated. You feel as though someone understands you and wants to get a clear picture of what it means to live your life. You feel as though a burden has been lifted off your shoulders because you were finally able to share exactly what you were thinking and feeling.

You had someone to listen.

Sometimes, this world seems like it is filled with a bunch of hearers and no listeners. But, there is hope! We have one listener who we can always rely on—God.

Psalm 6
O LORD, do not rebuke me in your anger
or discipline me in your wrath.

Be merciful to me, LORD, for I am faint;
O LORD, heal me, for my bones are in agony.

My soul is in anguish.
How long, O LORD, how long?

Turn, O LORD, and deliver me;
save me because of your unfailing love.

No one remembers you when he is dead.
Who praises you from the grave?

I am worn out from groaning;
all night long I flood my bed with weeping
and drench my couch with tears.

My eyes grow weak with sorrow;
they fail because of all my foes.

Away from me, all you who do evil,
for the LORD has heard my weeping.

The LORD has heard my cry for mercy;
the LORD accepts my prayer.

All my enemies will be ashamed and dismayed;
they will turn back in sudden disgrace. (NIV)

God is the listener!

In this Psalm, David is pouring out his heart before God. David has sinned and is awaiting God’s discipline. Yet, David is not afraid to say exactly how he is feeling and what he is thinking. And, David says all of this with assurance that God is listening.

God listens to all of us. God listens not only with His ears but also with His heart! So, even when we have sinned and it is tempting to run away and hide and cut off communication with God, He is still listening. Even when we think that we are the only one going through this circumstance, God is listening. Even when we are bursting with joy after the best day of our life, God is there listening and responding in joy right along with us.

What do you have to share with God today? How long has it been since someone truly listened to you? Share your heart with Him today.

No comments:

Post a Comment